"After studying coverage, I made the decision to fill out an
online quote. Best decision I ever made! I am now paying half
what most of my friends pay for their insurance."
We compare quotes from the nation's top insurers:
HO3 Home Insurance Policy
The HO3 Home Insurance Policy is the most common home insurance policy in the United States. It provides excellent coverage for your home and good coverage for your personal property.
The HO3 Insurance Policy is a Hybrid Policy
The HO3 insurance policy is a hybrid of an open perils policy and a named perils policy. With the HO3, your home is covered on an open perils basis and your contents (personal property) are covered on a named perils basis. An open perils policy does not specifically list the perils your home insurance covers; rather, it lists the perils your home insurance does NOT cover. If the damage to your home is not caused by something on the exclusion list, then you have coverage. A named perils policy specifically lists the perils for which your personal property is covered. If something happens to your belongings that is not on the list of covered perils, you do not have coverage.
Exclusion List for Your Home
The only perils that are excluded on your home are:
- Earth Movement (earthquake coverage can be endorsed on)
- Ordinance or Law (some coverage may be provided in your policy)
- Water Damage (Sudden & Accidental Water Damage is automatically included; others can be endorsed onto the policy)
- Power Failure
- Nuclear Hazard
- Intentional Loss
- Government Action
- Collapse (some coverage may be provided in your policy)
- Theft to a Dwelling Under Construction
- Vandalism or Malicious Mischief (only if vacant more than 60 days)
- Mold, Fungus, or Wet Rot (some coverage may be provided in your policy)
- Wear & Tear, Deterioration
- Mechanical Breakdown
- Smog, Rust & Corrosion
- Smoke from Agricultural Smudging & Industrial Operations
- Discharge, Dispersal, Seepage of Pollutants
- Settling, Shrinking, Bulging, or Expanding
- Birds, Vermin, Rodents, Insects
- Animals Owned by Insured
Perils Insured Against for Your Belongings
The 16 perils that your belongings are protected from are:
- Fire or Lightning
- Windstorm or Hail
- Riot or Civil Commotion
- Vandalism or Malicious Mischief
- Volcanic Eruption
- Falling Objects
- Weight of Ice, Snow, or Sleet
- Accidental Discharge or Overflow of Water or Stream
- Sudden & Accidental Tearing Apart, Cracking, Burning, or Bulging
- Sudden & Accidental Damage from Artificially Generated Electric Current
Where The HO3 Insurance Policy May Lack in Coverage
Although the HO3 home insurance policy is the most common protection found throughout the United States, it isn't the best possible policy money can buy. There are two main reasons for this:
- Water Damage - This policy does have Sudden & Accidental water damage, but it omits any water damage relating to water backup, foundation, or slow leaks. Most of these, however, can be endorsed on the policy for an additional premium.
- Open Perils on Contents - this policy does cover your home on an open perils basis, but only covers your contents for the 16 perils listed above. The HO5 policy covers your home and belongings for open perils.
Similar Home Insurance Policies
The HO3 insurance policy is very similar to one other home insurance policy you may have run across: the HOB
HOB: The HOB is nearly identical to the HO3 insurance policy. It is open perils coverage on the home and named perils coverage on the personal property. Depending on where it is purchased, the HOB may provide more water damage protections.